|Didymodon cf. australasiae 'dirt zone' habitat|
- Forms mid-dark green patches, darker than frequently associated Barbula spp. and lacks brownish tones of D. tophaceus and orange tones of D. fallax.
- Grows both as mono-specific turf and as occasional shoots mixed with other spp.
- Leaves spreading-patent, tapering, the tip sometimes appearing pinched towards to a moderately cuculate tip.
- Some plants have broader leaves and the pinched leaf tip is more evident, these may be younger plants?
- The strong nerve is very evident on the upper surface of the leaf in certain light.
- Contrary to my earlier comments the species does crisp up a bit when dry as shown below.