Sunday 29 March 2020

Antivirus

Due to that pesky virus keeping us close to home, I now have few excuses for not doing some outstanding jobs around the house.  Last Friday I looked at the lawn and whilst deciding it didn’t need cutting just yet, I spotted some Calliergonella cuspidata fruiting.  I occasionally see this species fruiting, but I think always in fairly wet habitats like flushes and I don’t think I have seen it fruiting in such a dry lawn before – perhaps it is a symptom of the very wet 6 months we have just endured.  


While taking the photo I remembered that I had spotted a nice patch of male Lunularia in one of our flower beds last autumn, so thought I would get a pic of that – unfortunately the patch had almost completely degraded, but there was one male bit still showing. 


Later that day, I made use of my daily exercise allowance by walking along some of the lanes near home, returning along the canal towpath.    The only bryo that caught my eye was a lovely patch of fruiting Bartramia pomiformis, on a small rock embedded in a lane bank.  


Walking past a pile of mixed clay and rubble by the canal, something shiny caught my eye and it turned out to be a small ammonite – a bit of a surprise as it not the sort of fossil you expect to see in Devonian country. Further fossicking resulted in a few more ammonite specimens and bits of broken Gryphaea and belemnite.     


I’ll see what else I can find in the garden over the next few weeks – might have to eke bryos out a bit, but there are plenty of other groups to get my teeth into.  After a week of working from home I am now up to 22 bird species on my new list “Staring out of spare bedroom window whilst taking part in telephone/ Skype sessions”.   Perhaps I’ll start a separate list for each window of the house!   














5 comments:

  1. The bryophytes are getting so crispy now - and I've recorded a fair amount local to me already - so am starting to try and get to grips with lichens again. Good luck with your garden recording - hope you've got a big garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not very big but just glad I have one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bird list out of every window in the house sounds like the last act of a desperate man Graham. Having said that, I knew a guy who used to keep a list of all the birds he saw on TV. How about a list of all the bryophytes we see on TV?
    I'm beginning to understand what 'stir crazy' means. Stay safe everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a challenge - perhaps I'll watch Gardners' World to see what bryos Monty has in his pots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apologies that this does not address your fascinating blog, but I have just heard the sad, sad news about Bonzo and wanted to ask if you'd mind if I emailed you. My email is ck.chrisknott@gmail.com. Hope you and family are safe and well.

    ReplyDelete