Thursday 3 January 2019

Miscellaneous December mosses (and liverworts!)

Here are a few images of some interesting observations I've not found time to post about over the last few weeks of 2018:

A rubbishy record shot of Campylopus subulatus collected from a forest track at Gwaun Nant-y-bwch during an excursion with Charles on 11th Dec. This is just the third Glamorgan site.

Lopidium concinnum (Hypopterygiaceae) was the most conspicuous of four aliens noted on a Dicksonia antarctica 'trunk' in Swansea's Wyevale on 20th December. Heteroscyphus fissistipus was the only other species I managed to identify. All were recorded as live, although the exposed parts of the Lopidium shoots were dead/bleached.

On the same day I was at Wyevale, I did a quick check of the Kilvey Hill Cephaloziella calyculata colony, but failed to find anything resembling integerrima, the only only other Cephaloziella noted being divaricata. The colony was highly fertile, with male plants (photo) and gemmiferous shoots abundant (photo). Perianth development was, however, uniformly at a very rudimentary stage and well behind those of integerrima seen recently at Crofty. There are still plenty opportunities for exploring unsurveyed areas at this site - i.e. most of it!

The distinctively scented Lophozia bicrenata was found growing with Vezdaea retigera on mine spoil on Cadle Heath Common in Swansea on 21st Dec.

Lophozia ventricosa var. silvicola is occasional on Sphagnum papillosum on Cefn Bryn, 31st Dec. As reported by Sam in the Pembs Bryoflora, it seems this defunct, yet distinctive taxon is the default var. on Sphagnum in our area.

A good quantity of Marchantia polymorpha cf subsp. montivagans "Mountain Liverwort" was encountered mostly 'in stream' in a base-enriched runnel on Cefn Bryn, also on 31st Dec. The large thalli clearly lacked black midribs that characterise subsp. polymorpha, though were darkened a little, as shown by the example below, photographed in natural day light (it was almost dark by the time I got to this spot and to make things worst as I was walking back up the hill I realised I must have dropped my phone in the runnel - fortunately I did manage to find it before the light completely went, sitting amongst Montia in-stream, half soaked, but still working!). I failed to get to grips with the ventral scales of the Marchantia, but I will take another look before sending off a voucher for verification of this potential county first.

6 comments:

  1. Barry, I'm finding L. ventricosa silvicola to be quite common in north Cards and is usually overgrowing other vegetation, not necessarily Sphagnum. I'll try and see if there's a definite pattern there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I must confess that I've not been checking for this taxon routinely due to its uncertain status, but I'll attempt to make amends for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Years ago I found a Marchantia in Carmarthenshire which I thought might be montivagans - it had a hint of darkening along mid-rib but nothing like polymorpha - I sent it fresh to the Recorder at the time who also puzzled over it, but on drying it turned into typical polymorpha with prominent black lines. Yours looks like a nice chunky specimen so good hopes for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had ssp. ruderale in a flower pot (from a garden centre). I immersed the pot in the garden pond and two years later it had all morphed into ssp. polymorpha. I keep meaning to repeat the experiment - if you have a pond please have a go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your tips and advice both. It's chunky enough for sure but the darkened cefn mental channel is of slight concern. I must send it off sooner rather than later...

    ReplyDelete