Friday 5 February 2021

Abietinella at Pendine

My first visit to Pendine Burrows since 2014 was an official NRW meeting to advise on Petalophyllum hydrology, informed by some excellent mapping (leaving obvious marked pegs) by Matt Sutton last autumn. I was particularly pleased to spot Abietinella abietina in three places alongside petalwort as I had only seen it in two localities in the Burrows during my 2014 survey. It appears to favour areas of short-mown turf that has developed on a mix of limestone chippings and blown sand. This is the only remaining site for this rare species in Carmarthenshire and one of very few in Wales.


I should really be posting this on the new West Wales Bryophytes, but despite Matt sending me an invitation to Blog there I can't find a New Post option. Matt (Pembs) and Tom (Ceredigion) are currently very active bryologically in their counties, in contrast to us in south-east Wales, so it's well worth a regular look.

5 comments:

  1. Not as active as I'd like to be! Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam - you're not listed as having accepted the invite to blog, so I've resent the link. If you accept, then you'll be able to post (click on one of the 'edit post' pencil symbols then the B in the top left - maybe a bit clunky but technology never my thing.....). Anyone else who'd like an invite email me via the email on the information page.
    Hope the Pendine proposals were resolved. I ran out of pegs by the way, so they weren't all marked by any means!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Matt. I have accepted the invitation. We had a very constructive discussion and your pegs helped enormously. We figured some pegs were missing at the far eastern end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good article on your experience just woww. Are you looking to low price used car in Perth, You can visit ADSCT Australia's largest classified posting website.

    ReplyDelete