Saturday 30 November 2019

Didymodon icmadophilus in the Neath Valley


I've not yet checked my specimen under the microscope, but what I've been calling D. icmadophilus (as recommended by Tom Blockeel) was present in good quantity on wavy concrete-block paving at Aberpergwm.  I'm not quite sure what is happening taxonomically with acutus and icmadophilus, as the map on the NBN appears to show records for these taxa amalgamated under the latter name.  If any anyone can shed any light on what's going on I'd be grateful, just so I can enter my records under the correct name.  D. acutus at Merthyr Mawr to me looks quite different to D. icmadophilus I've seen at anthropogenic sites in West Glamorgan.

For ref,  the list of associates on the blockwork was as follows:
Barbula convoluta var. convoluta
Barbula convoluta var. sardoa
Barbula unguiculata
Bryoerythrophyllum ferruginascens
Bryum capillare
Bryum dichotomum
Bryum pallens
Bryum pallescens
Calliergonella cuspidata
Cephaloziella cf. hampeana
Ceratodon purpureus
Dicranella varia
Didymodon cf. australasiae
Didymodon fallax
Didymodon ferrugineus
Didymodon icmadophilus
Didymodon insulanus
Encalypta streptocarpa
Hypnum cupressiforme var. cupressiforme
Pseudocrossidium hornschuchianum
Trichostomum crispulum

1 comment:

  1. I went up to see it yesterday. What struck me was how much it resembles D. rigidulus rather than D. acutus. I note (in Smith) that it used to be called D. rigidulus var. icmadophilus.

    ReplyDelete