Sunday 9 May 2021

Heterocladium wulfsbergii at last!

 I have been religiously checking Heterocladium heteropterum specimens for months, convinced that I should be finding H. wulfsbergii. On Friday, I think I finally found it.

Last year, I explored a bit of the Pontsticill Reservoir area with Sharon Pilkington and Pete Martin and we had a couple of productive days up Cwm Callan. On Friday I decided to investigate the other side, around Cwm-Car. And in a gully just below the waterfall, there it was - covering a vertical rock face. I'm pretty sure that's what it is, but happy to be corrected if anyone disagrees.






And here is the location - just behind the camera on the right:


I'm still checking my other specimens, but so far haven't found anything else of note.

Apologies that I haven't been posting on the blog, but the website rather occupies a lot of time and I do need to get out sometimes. Will try to do more now that website work has settled down a bit.

2 comments:

  1. Well done Claire. Heterocladium wulfsbergii is pretty frequent in base-poor areas of the Cambrian Mountains but rarer in the Brecon Beacons area. It often grows close to Platyhypnidium lusitanicum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sam. That's another one I've been keeping an eye out for but didn't really know the habitat - I'll have to go back and have another look.

    ReplyDelete