Thursday 7 September 2017

Tortella rename

Tortella fasciculata in its highly contorted dry state.
The Tortella bambergeri I reported back in July here keys out as the suboceanic-submediterranean T. fasciculata following the key by Köckinger & Hedenäs in the most recent JoB. The narrow-leaved appearance of my specimen also fits in line with other British material examined by the authors who indicate the distinction between British and continental material may be genetic, suggesting yet more work may need to be done to fully clarify the status of British material.

2 comments:

  1. I have checked my 10 vouchers of T bambergeri and have 9 T fasciculata (VC35, VC42, VC44, VC103, VC104 and Leitrim) and one that appears to be T pseudofragilis from Scotland. Ironically it was the first specimen of T bambergeri I gathered, prompted by Jan Kucera telling me it was separate from T tortuosa, and that collection began my 2006-published revision of Tortella in Britain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done with your pseudofragilis - reaffirms how importaant a good herbarium can be and how i really should make more effort with my collections.

    ReplyDelete