Wednesday 14 November 2018

Cefn Bryn flushes revisited


Shoots of an interesting looking Cephalozia, which were scattered through several mounds of Sphagnum subnitens growing in an area of mild base flushing @ SS49679051 proved to be pleniceps under the microscope, based on leaf morphology (photos above). I’ll send a voucher to Sam as this is new for Glamorgan. Otherwise I only had limited time to check on a small area around the colony of Palustriella falcata I noted earlier this year (I wanted to double check that I had correctly identified it following the recent nearby discovery of Hamatocaulis – it was just P. falcata - photos below). The spring line below where the Bracken ends (visible in aerial above) holds species such as Anagallis tenella, Campylium stellatum, Ctenidium molluscum, Fissidens adianthoides and Philonotis calcarea. This is the first time I’ve looked at this faeture and I only had time for 10 minutes here, so well worth a revisit. Cefn Bryn continues to turn up interesting bryophytes and Sphagnum platyphyllum is my new target now H. vernicosus has been ticked off – there were some good pretenders today in the area with P. falcata and Scorpidium cossonii, but it was just odd-looking denticulatum unfortunately. Checks of a couple of Bryum samples from burnt areas of acid ground proved to be bornholmense, which I would suggest is probably quite frequent at this site.
 Vegetation on left side of stream with abundant P. falcata & S. cossonii

6 comments:

  1. Excellent news Barry - and that's a super photo of the Cephalozia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on Cephalozia pleniceps - in its "fairly predictable locus" as reported by Graham and me in an early Field Bryology. Please don't send it to me though, as Nick Hodgetts is now Recorder for Liverworts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great record Barry. So much there to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think nearest I came to finding it in Glam was at Cwm Cadlan - RCT, but Brecks vc. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do we need to take account of some of these things when planning future southern damselfly management?

    ReplyDelete
  6. With species such as Hamatocaulis seemingly so localised, I'd say yes. It surprising how limited some of the basic flushes are.

    ReplyDelete