Thursday 9 February 2017

Fairwood airport

I made a brief stop-off on Tuesday to look at the section of concrete runway outside the perimeter fence SS573910 at Fairwood. This revealed small quantities of Plagiomnium cuspidatum (photos above) growing with more abundant associates that included Brachythecium albicans, Ceratodon purpureus, Climacium dendroides (photo 7), Didymodon insulanus, Hypnum cupressiforme var. lacunosum, Syntrichia ruralis var. ruraliformis and some attractive tufts of Bryum dichotomum var. barnesii (photos 5 & 6). Campylium protensum and Ctenidium molluscum were frequent along the adjacent track.

1 comment:

  1. Climacium seems to be quite frequent around the airport - I've seen it in a couple of places near the perimeter fence. Looking at MapMate, this species seems to have a northern and western distribution in Glam - though of course I don't have all the records in my system.

    I've never recorded P. cuspidatum.

    ReplyDelete