Tuesday 18 November 2014

Lophocolea fragrans in Glamorgan

Thought I'd slip in a pic of my only record of this species, which I found last December growing on a fallen branch by a stream in Cilibion Plantation (SS529918). It's a rather diminutive Lophocolea but the irregular multi-toothed appearance is pretty distinctive. There are no other records on MapMate but the NBN shows a 2002 record for SN70, which may or may not be in Glamorgan? Be interesting to find out more details of this or any other Glam records?
General habitat shot, L. fragrans site was just off to the right 

5 comments:

  1. I've looked out for it since you gave me the 'heads up', but not seen it yet in NPT. No doubt it's out there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll find it when you stop looking for it I bet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does seem to like unprepossessing places in south Wales - the small rock where I found it yesterday is pretty typical.

    The only VC41 record prior to Barry's was made by Joan Appleyard on a stone in woodland at Burry Pill (SS49) in April 1963. Do you think we might be able to relocate this Burry Pill colony?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a long valley by Gower standards and has some very nice habitats, so could well still be there, however, Tolmiea menziesii has somewhat taken over the flood plain section, something I suspect Ms Appleyard never encountered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS. Joan found it just one month after I was born!

    ReplyDelete